Thursday, December 18, 2003

According to the Romanies...
(taken from a book by Gillian Kemp)

Sneeze on a MONDAY you'll escape danger,
Sneeze on a TUESDAY a kiss from a stranger.
Sneeze on a WEDNESDAY a good news letter,
Sneeze on a THURSDAY a gift which is better.
Sneeze on a FRIDAY news will cause sorrow,
Sneeze on a SATURDAY you'll travel tomorrow.
Sneeze on a SUNDAY ask God to bless you
All the week, your health to keep.

Alright. I sneezed at least five times today. Does it mean I'll receive five gifts? Gifts which are better... than what?

Sounds silly but at times I (want to) believe in folklores and myths.

Reminds me of my girlhood. I was so fond of standing and especially sitting in front of doors. Any doors. If you ask me why, I did it because it was fun. You'd know who were coming and going. It seemed important to me at that time.

However, many people nagged me for this. My grandmother scolded me for several reasons.

1. "It's a forbidden thing to do," she said, "it'd make your soulmate run away. You'll get married very late in life."
2. "You're blocking the way!"
3. "It's so unladylike."
4. "Haven't you got anything better to do than hanging in front of doors?"

My dearest grandma was not the only one. Many people, some much older, some my age, some even younger than I was, told me essentially the same things.

It's a superstition--if you're a girl, you're not supposed to do that. As for boys, well, even if they do that, they won't get much nagging or scolding.

Sounds very unfair to me. So I persisted. I deliberately spent more and more time sitting and standing in front of doors.

Some commented that was the reason why my ex cheated on me. He and I were together for several years (many years, to me, or so it seems) and then, boom! I 'accidentally' found out that he had at least two affairs. We parted, then.

Some said that it would take many years for me to find my true soulmate.

They were wrong.

Now I have a partner in life. A real one. In my previous relationship, it wasn't a partnership. It was a standard woman-to-man, man-to-woman relationship. Where assumptions and resentments ruled, spiced with lovely moments, garnished with emotions.

Now I am married.

I'm still fond of sitting and standing in front of doors. Nobody scolded me for it now.
Aa even encouraged me to do so. For, if the superstition is true, it'd take a long, long time for me to get married... again. Maybe he was hoping... well, maybe if I stand and sit in front of doors often, I won't even get married again, ever. :)

Insya Allah.

No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!