Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Writing Fiction

People often ask for my tips on writing fiction. Truth to tell, when I write, I just do. Sure, I have my own methods. It might not work for others, though, because writing, I believe, is a personal thing. Of course you can hire assistants or ghost writers. Still, you will add your personal flavor and touch.

Some ask me how I write. I am tempted to cite this quotation everytime I am asked:

When asked, "How do you write?" I invariably answer, "one word at a time."
Stephen King

What should I say? I guess, whatever I say won't matter. If you have ideas but decide not to put them down into written form, then the ideas worth nothing. You have to WORK. Writing down everything is fun, but it is also demanding.

My advice--find your own thing. Find the reasons why you want to write. Then, stop making excuses. JUST WRITE!

Still interested to know how I can seem to write relentlessly? In my heart, I steel myself to work. I try to focus on what I want to accomplish from writing. To maintain my enthusiasm, sometimes I dress up beforehand. I'd take a bath using calming essential oils, wear nice, comfy clothes and of course, my favorite piece(s) of jewelry. Play music if you think it'd help. Isolate yourself in a favorite room if you think it could boost your morale. Find whatever that works for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My advice--find your own thing. Find the reasons why you want to write. Then, stop making excuses. JUST WRITE!

==> *uhukk* Tertohok tepat di ulu hati membaca kalimat di atas *jlebb*

Anonymous said...

yup, just write ...

jadi inget percakapan di YM kemarin ... hehehehehehe

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!