Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Computer Games!

I wouldn't call myself a gamer, even though I have to admit I'm quite addicted to some computer games. I couldn't even remember the first game I played on a computer. I was still in elementary school, then. All I remember, it was an Apple PC.

Then my cousin, Rudi, introduced me to King Quest by Sierra. I was fascinated. It was my first encounter with an adventure game. I couldn't play it well, but what the heck. It was fun to watch my cousin playing the game. Then, some time in junior high, IINM, my youngest bro, Satria, borrowed several diskettes (yep, the big, obsolete ones) from Aristo, Dino's youngest bro. It was Hero's Quest, an RPG. It was fantastic! We could choose to be a fighter, a magic-user, or a thief. (I usually played as a magic-user. Dino, I recall, prefer playing as a thief. My brothers prefer being a fighter, for it would make them strong enough to fight monsters to gain extra cash.) However, there was this tiny problem. Aristo somehow misplaced the ninth diskette. So every time we enter some areas, something came up: "Please insert disk 9". We couldn't finish the game. What a pity.

So when my father went to the States, we literally begged him to buy Hero's Quest. Which he did. Sadly, it was not the same game that we had in mind, for Hero's Quest by Sierra had changed its name to Quest for Glory. First, Hero's Quest that my father bought only had two diskettes. Second, after playing it, we realized that it was some kind of board game. Bummer.

Later on we had the chance to play Qfg 1: So You Want to be a Hero and we managed to end it beautifully. My brothers and I then proceeded to Quest for Glory 3: Wages of War (somehow we couldn't find Quest for Glory 2). Then we played Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness. This game has a bug or something. Dang. So we couldn't finish it, either. (I foolishly tried again last month, just for the heck of it. And failed again at the critical moment.) My favorite, Quest for Glory V appeared and I was hooked! This game is superb! I have long stopped using magic-user as my character's skill. I use Paladin. I love increasing my honor. He likes to make fun of it, though.

"What is so honorable in having two or three fiancees?" he asked. It's true, I, playing the Paladin character, is marrying Erana, Elsa, and Nawar, hehe.

I also love Fallout, also an RPG, even though the setting is not to my liking. Post nuclear war and all. This game made me violent. There are times when I wish I have powerful guns around so that I could shoot annoying people around me, hehe.

Lately I have been addicted to Neverwinter Nights. The setting is Forgotten Realms (also from Wizards of the Coast). They also have fantasy books like Dragonlance! I haven't played that for a while. I can't play it here, the specifications of this PC won't allow it. :( Maybe I'll play it today in my parents'... most likely I'll be a Paladin again, hehe. Or perhaps a ranger? Hmmm...


No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!