Tuesday, January 27, 2004

More About Games

I have written that one of my favorites is Neverwinter Nights. I am familiar with the terrains, customs, and people. (having Campaign Setting for Forgotten Realms book really helps) The game has plenty of tough enemies so you should prepare yourself with lots of healing kits, healing spells, potions, amulets, charms, and the like. I could choose the hard way like Andi did, painstakingly increasing his level and ability one by one. I prefer shortcuts, so I use cheats. Within seconds I could reach the highest level possible. I am invincible, for I play in God mode.

However isman likes to make fun of me because I often get lost. This game has maps and compass but still, I often find myself wandering in unknown terrain, calling my youngest bro for help, "Deeeek, what is this place? I'm lost!" My partner always says, "Come on, you're supposed to be a god, and yet you lose your way easily? What kind of god is that?" Thankfully my twin bro comes to my rescue, saying, "Well, in Dragonlance, they have Fizban the Fabulous, you know. He's Paladine, the strongest god of good, yet he always gets lost and forgets his spells." So I smile at him smugly, saying, "I am that kind of god!" He sometimes sneers and asks, "Oh yeah? And gods are supposed to be half-breeds or elves?" (I love elves and half-elves) To this I always reply, "Tanis Half-Elven is handsome!" He cannot say anything else. When the name Tanthalas or Tanis is mentioned, I am as adamant and stubborn as I can be.

It annoys me sometimes, being lost in a game. Once I was hooked to Dungeon Siege. After several levels and chapters I arrived in a murky swamp. Ohkay, so the game provided a compass. Still I got lost. I asked my brothers for help, in vain. So I just stopped playing it.

A son of mine, David, once asked me to play PS2 together with him. I told him I was not good at it. Still he asked me to try. We played, I do not know what it was, some kind of strategy-fighting game like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, perhaps. Pretty soon I got lost and started beating up several officers. Dave just stared at me blankly, saying, "Euh, okaasan, that's our own generals and soldiers."

However, when it comes to returning home or finding where the cars are parked, I am extremely good. As good as the homing pigeon, perhaps. I know which directions to take, how many steps, how many blocks.

Maybe I should treat the games as my homes.

No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!