Friday, January 09, 2004

Youthfulness is Relative... Wrinkles, However, are Definite

I am getting older. For that, I am somewhat relieved. Now more and more people call me "Bu"(ma'am) instead of "Mbak"(older sister) or even, "Dek" (younger one). I got sick of highschoolers calling me Dek. Once I tried to tell them that I was much older than they were (I was a junior then in university). They just laughed, believing that I lied. Well, what should I do, then? Show them my ID and birth certificate? Perhaps they'd think both ID and certificate were fabricated.

He amusedly said that I seemed to attract younger boys. Boys. He actually meant kids. I have no idea why. Do I emanate a certain aura that children love? Someone once told me that. Or maybe they see the inner child in me, calling out to them. Who knows?

When I was still an English teacher, my students always doubted my ability. What usually happened on a new class (adults) for the first time...
Student (S): (eyeing me from head to toe) Excuse me, but how old are you?
Me: Twenty-four, why?
S: Oh! That's a relief. I thought you were still in high school.
Me: (cursing deep down inside)
When I taught teenagers at an institution...
S: Well, hello, there! New student?
Me: (sweatdrops) I'm your new teacher.
S: Oh. Still in high school?
Me: I've got a bachelor degree. From a university.
S: Cool. You must be a genius, graduating that early. Still a teenager, aren't you?
Me: (unable to say anything)
Socializing with them, I couldn't help believing that I look younger than my age. However, I remember when I was still 14, I asked several American children (my neighbors) to guess how old I was.
1st kid: 19!
Me: Nope!
2nd kid: Umm, 16?
Me: *shaking my head*
3rd: I know, I know! 20!
Me: Nuh-uh.
4th: Oh my God! *small pause* 25?
Me: I'm 14.
All kids: What! (eyes popping out in disbelief)
And when I taught elementary school students...
S: (looking at me curiously) How old are you, Ma'am?
Me: (decided to lie) 20.
S: Gee! You are SO old! Hey! (calling his friends) This lady is ancient! We should pity her!
Me: (didn't know what to feel...)
So, judging from these experiences, at that time I had two options:
1) Teach children who think I'm the oldest person in the planet. Or,
2) Teach young adults who feel I'm too young for my position.

Perception is a thing of wonder. Age is a definite thing. But youthfulness is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh, and if you ask, "Isn't attracting kids a good thing?" Well, depends on what you mean by "attract." I once taught at a kindergarten. And this boy approached me.
S: Ma'am! What is your name?
Me: (telling him my name)
S: Oh, good! My name is... (he wrote his full name on the board) Say, do you live nearby, Ma'am? I live around here. We can take a stroll sometimes together if you like. What do you think? Care to visit my house?
Me: (speechless)

No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!