Monday, March 01, 2004

What's Age Got to Do With It?

There is this assumption that age has something to do with maturity. Most of my female friends prefer to be with older men, believing that they'd be wiser and more dependable. People about my age (twenty-something) who act like teenagers or even, children, are bound to be scolded by others. Most likely they'd hear something like this: "Act like your age!"

When some of my friends (mostly female ones) know that isman and I were born on the same year, they questioned it.

"Aren't you afraid that he might not be able to lead you?" One asked.

"He won't be able to father you, will he?" Another queried.

"You'll fight a lot with him, then! You both have equal shares of ego and all." Another judged.

And they all said these words because they thought in a relationship, one (preferable the husband--the term makes me shudder, I'm sure the ones who know the meanings of the word understand) should be more mature. More mature means that his or her spouse should obey him or her.

How I resent this thought.

I married a partner. I'm not looking for an older male figure, a father figure. I have a father! And that's more than enough sometimes. I want another complete person. Not someone with this thought, "I want a spouse that will complete me." Like isman beautifully illustrated, it's like two persons going to a battlefield. One carries a shield. The other holds a sword. Oh yes, in a sense, they do complete each other. But can they work well as a team? You might say, sure! One would defend and the other would charge. The ones who think like this surely have never seen a real battlefield before (or perhaps they are lacking in imagination).

What isman and I believe, in a relationship, you have to be your own complete person. That way you can effectively work as a team. Supposing we have to fight together. isman might carry a sword and a shield. I might enshroud myself in spells of protection while casting offensive spells, creating havoc to the enemy.

And what's age got to do with it, I ask? My partner and I are of the same age. So? Who are to say or judge that our relationship won't work well? That one partner should be older (agewise) in order to survive any calamities that might happen in a relationship?

No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!