Sunday, November 03, 2013

Simple Recipe of the Day: Sakura Rice Balls


Love the smell of sakura. My favorite Kit-Kat is sakura-matcha. My favorite perfume has hints of sakura in it. When I close my eyes, if I have to describe how sakura would smell, I'd say that it's romantic, sweet, and pink. Definitely pink.

Unfortunately, I have never seen real sakura (in the trees). I tried sakuranbo, and I loved it so much! Japanese cherries might not be as sweet as American ones, but it has a specific flavor and character that I love. I think sakuranbo would make better jams or syrup (compared to American cherries, the dark red and yellow type, the ones that I've tried so far) because it's slightly tart.

In my previous blog post I mentioned that my dear friend sent me some sakuracha. He was generous enough to give me two sachets of sakuracha, and now I am making good use of them. (Thanks again, Non-kun!)

After sipping the lovely (albeit slightly salty) sakuracha, I am thinking of making sakura rice balls. It's very simple and rewarding, because the smell is heavenly.

I use magic jar/rice cooker, easier for me that way. 

Ingredients:
- 1 cup of rice, wash thoroughly (I use regular Indonesian white rice)
- 1 tbsp sakuracha 
- 1/2 cup of hot water
- Water

Steep sakuracha in hot water until the flowers are blooming. Add water and sakuracha to rice. Add more water. (my ratio is 1:1 for rice and water to be cooked thoroughly. I measure it by dipping my finger in rice, then add the same amount of water to it.) Cook the rice and when it is done, scoop some, form balls using your hands (I used plastic sheet to form the balls) and garnish with sakuracha (unsteeped) if you want. 

Sakuracha is preserved by salt, so you don't need to add more salt to the rice mixture. I ate sakura rice balls with chicken floss. Yummy!

No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!