Sunday, March 02, 2014

Emergency Okonomiyaki

You have to be creative in the kitchen. Sometimes you yearn to make something, but some ingredients are missing. What to do, what to do? You find substitutes. You experiment. And that's what I did.

I wanted to make okonomiyaki, and I found this recipe. Seems simple enough, but I made modifications. I had some quail eggs, and I thought, hey, wouldn't it be fab if I made small okonomiyaki and topped them with small eggs? I definitely won't use pork, and I don't want to wait for an hour to make it. 

Since I did not weigh the onions or egg, you might want to add more water or flour to get a thick batter. I used quail eggs because my partner preferred it that way, but next time I'll use mozzarella cheese or perhaps homemade nuggets. (or paprika? Green vegetables? Sausages? Smoked beef? So many choices!)

I had to improvise with the sauce.

Okonomiyaki Sauce, Emergency Style:
20 gr teriyaki sauce + 20 gr tomato ketchup + 1 tsp shoyu

This recipe yields ten small okonomiyaki. Here, they did not last longer than five minutes.

No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!