Saturday, March 01, 2014

Simple Recipe of the Day: Fried Rice, Italian Style

Fried rice. We, Indonesians, probably have tried it in many forms. My belated Ma often made it, and every fried rice was different. Because the ingredients used were always different: leftovers, mostly! Sometimes it had chickens, shrimp. Vegetables. Mushrooms. Once, my mom decided to get creative and added vegetables, shrimp, and pineapples. I thought it was really weird. Then once, she added raisins. Weirder!

It's best to use leftover rice. And after a while I get the hang of it, adding this and that. I experimented a lot. Thankfully, my family hasn't got food poisoning so far. (knocking wood, one, two, three!)

I think everyone has her/his own favorite. My partner, for instance, he is addicted to sweet soy sauce, so to him, fried rice should contain sweet soy sauce! I am the type that likes any fried rice, as long as they are tasty. One day, I'll share a recipe of fried rice that my partner likes.

Some days ago, we had leftover of my version of spaghetti sauce. (sauté some minced garlic, minced onions, and minced tomatoes, with 3-4 tbsp of oil, add tomato ketchup and some corned beef, salt-sugar-oregano to taste, and you're done!) I thought it'd be fab with rice. And I was right.

For this fried rice: mince 2 garlic, sauté in 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add some spaghetti sauce (about a cup), stir well. Add approx. three cups of steamed rice. Stir well. Add some salt or sugar if you wish and be sure to add some oregano. I served this with shredded cheese on top. Yum!

No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!