Friday, January 16, 2004



Songs--Bringer of Emotions

Some songs remind me of certain events or people. For instance, the old song Solitaire sung by The Carpenters remind me of Andi Saptono. Why? I do not know. Is it the lyrics? The melody? Utada Hikaru's First Love also reminds me of him and my shin yu. It reminds me of my twin bro because we often sang this song when we went to a karaoke joint. It also reminds me of Nyachan because it's one of her favorite songs.

What songs remind me of isman? I'll name four of them: Outkast's The Whole World, Sneakers Pimps' Sick, Destiny's Child's Brown Eyes, Bryan Adams & Barbara Streisand's I Finally Found Someone. He likes songs that are full of positive energy. While I can find comfort in both positive or negative emotions. Most of the time I am a yin person... :) At times I still enjoy listening to some mellow songs. isman finally made a rule about this: "Thou shalt not listen or sing Bang Sudirman's songs on Sundays!" By the way, Sudirman was a Malay singer. Some of his songs tell about broken hearts, poverty, sad fate,... I find it really easy to annoy isman. I just sing, "Ayah dan ibuuuuuu~uuu.." and he'll cover his ears tight, hehe.

Songs that reminds me of my teenage years: Madonna's Crazy For You and The Bangles' Eternal Flame. Nengti and I sang the karaoke version many, many years ago. Oh, also some songs from The Beatles. My high school band played this song on Talent Nights. I sang Twist and Shout and Mr. Postman, hehe.

One of my special songs.. a song that's always able to lighten my mood and color my days, Southern All Stars' Manatsu no Kajitsu. I first heard this song on MTV 12-13 years ago. I still love it. Sometimes it brings tears of relief, laughters of joy, smiles of contentment. A friend sent me the translation of this song a couple of years ago, but I misplaced it. So I do not understand most of it, yet this beautiful, uplifting melody fills my heart with peace and love.

So what are your songs? Do they haunt you sometimes? Lately I have been haunted by an old song. I don't even know the title.. but it has something to do with going to Kokomo, Bahamas, come on pretty mama... something like that.

No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!