Thursday, March 04, 2004

Now and Then

Last week my mother asked about my new ID card. She asked what the ID card said about my occupation. It is "a housewife". By default. I mean, the officials assumed right away that I was a housewife without bothering to ask. I might be an astronaut or a director in a reputable company. (I am not, of course, but that's not the point) I bet the officials wouldn't care less. It is ridiculous, really.

Then my mother told me something else. In the old days, when a couple just got married and they had to make new IDs, the wives' occupation would be: following the husband (ikut suami).

By default.

I had a good laugh that time.

No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!