Saturday, April 24, 2004

Another Visit to the Doctor

There I sat, looking confident and arrogant. While in fact I was feeling lonesome. Where was my partner? He did call a few minutes before, saying that he was stuck in a traffic jam.

The waiting room was full, as usual. All of the women there were accompanied by either their husbands or female friends. I was alone, in my black dress, stockings, and leather shoes. Waiting for my turn. Trying to ignore blatant looks from the others. Accusing looks that seemed to say, "Well, look at that girl. Pregnant already, and no husband! What a shame!"

I stared at them defiantly, as if to say, "So what?"

He came to my relief. Fortunately the others somehow lost their interest in me. "Oh. She got a husband. Or perhaps it's the lover. Ah well, who cares." They busied themselves doing another important thing--waiting.

Finally my name was called. Found out that I had gained 12 kilograms during my pregnancy. Starting to feel depressed and bloated.

But when I saw the doctor, she just looked at me critically then said, "Almost seven months, but you're still so small! You should gain more weight."

I wish I could faint then. Now, that would make a statement.

No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!