We love kare raisu! However, instant curry roux is very expensive here in Indonesia. So I thought of making kare raisu from scratch. I got the inspiration from a cookbook, and modified it. The kare is not like the one made with instant curry roux, the flavoring is a bit different. A bit sweet, because I use peanut butter. My kids prefer this one than using instant curry roux.
- 8 gr curry powder (more or less. You can add more if you like. I used curry powder in a sachet.)
- 40 gr tomato ketchup (I used four sachets @ 10 gr)
- 1 tsp Chili powder (add more if you like spicy kare)
- 4 tbsp of oil
- 250 gr meat of your choice (I used beef and chicken, equally delicious), cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and chopped (or vegetables of your choice. Sometimes I add sour apples like Granny Smith, string bean, etc.)
- 150 ml coconut milk (or regular full cream milk. I used both, I think both are fine. Coconut milk has more flavor, I think.)
- 400-500 ml broth (I used homemade vegetable broth. You can add broth powder to the water, if you like)
- 4 tbsp maizena, diluted with approx. 100 ml water
- 2-3 tbsp peanut butter
- Salt, sugar, to taste. Add grated ginger if you like (1 tsp would be fine.)
Mix curry powder + tomato ketchup + + chili powder + 1 tbsp of oil with meat. Marinade for a while. (15 minutes would be fine.)
Saute vegetable and onion and potato in 3 tbsp of oil for about five minutes.
Add meat to the pan. Stir for a minute or two.
Add broth. Mix well. After 3-5 minutes, add coconut milk/milk. Stir well.
Add peanut butter. Stir well.
Taste. Add salt, sugar, grated ginger according to your preference.
Simmer for 15 minutes. Add maizena+water mixture and stir until the kare thickens.
That's it! Enjoy it warm with rice.