Monday, July 07, 2014

Blogging Challenge Day 1: My Best Friend

This is my first entry for 30-Day-Blogging Challenge. I am going to talk about my best friend.

Her name was Nina Higa. We met through the internet in late 1990's. I think we started emailing each other from 1998 or 1999. Something just clicked. 

In 2000, or was it 1999 (my memory is a bit hazy these days, remembering dates and year) she went to Indonesia. Not her first visit. She visited Bali when she was a university student and some time later with her husband. But it was her first time in Jakarta and Bandung. From that time, we became good buddies, best friends. Even though we lived so far away from each other, our hearts remained close. She knew oh-so-many things about me. My dark, mercurial moods, my darkest fears, my hopes. She was there when someone I deeply loved betrayed my trust. I was there when she grieved upon losing her baby. We had each other to make us stronger.

She taught me many things. That life should be enjoyed immensely. That we would remain friends, no matter what. She helped me to believe in the power of hope. She made me realize how blessed we all are.

She made me "see" through her eyes. I gained more understanding about Japan and Japanese culture thanks to her. Even now, I still remember her twinkling laugh and bright eyes, while calling me, "Angelachan! Angelachan!" I only allow two people to call me that. Her, and her husband.

She loved Indonesia so much. "It's my second country," she told me. She loved the food. The language. (Yes, she was smart, she learned Indonesian and could speak Indonesian quite well.) She loved the culture, too. 

She was beautiful, inside and out. She was always optimistic. "Things would always be better, Angelachan, believe me! Things will be OK!" She liked to tell me that.  

And then she was diagnosed with cancer. 

She lost the battle on July 31, 2013.

Sorry I cannot write anymore. My eyes are blurry and my chest is hurting from so much pain.

No comments:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!